In the Community: A visit to UnitedHealthcare Headquarters
The #UHCBluetrain pulls into the station
On June 16th, six riders and four staff made a visit to the UnitedHealthcare corporate headquarters in Minnetonka, MN. The day was filled with meeting new friends and seeing old friends. The event was a cycling expo that took place in the main entrance to the buildings. We had several different stations that the UnitedHealthcare employees could stop by and participate in. The different stations included:
-Soigneur station- MIke Smith, a team Soigneur (swanny, for short) had his feed zone station set up. The employees were able to see what a rider eats and drinks on a 100 mile stage race. Mike also had panini’s for everyone to try. The paninis consists of hawaiian rolls, banana and nutella. This is a riders favorite and a staple for a stage race. We also let everyone sample GQ6, which was a big hit with everyone!
– Mechanic station- Adrain Hedderman, team mechanic, set up a station with a bike and bike stand. He taught about basic bike maintenance and answered all questions that the employees had.
– Peak Power Station- Brad White handled the Peak Power Contest. This contest consisted on getting on the bike that was on a trainer and pushing out your highest power. We had nine women and 31 men participate.
– Autograph station- Ruth Winder, Karl Menzies and Lauren Tamayo autographed team posters and water bottles for all employees.
– Podium station- Scotti Wilborne and Cari Higgins helped with the podium picture station.
– Director station- Mike Tamayo had the team car on display and answered questions about racing, strategy and “his office”, aka, the team car.
It was a great event with lots to do and see. The event displayed how it takes teamwork to make this team happen. It takes the swanny, mechanic, director and rider to deliver a win.